There are many reasons that child support payments might be augmented throughout the course of a child's life. If you or your ex-spouse have had changes in your income or assets, this can be a reason to open up an existing child support agreement and have this augmented. These days there are so many financial ups and downs it is unrealistic to think that a child support agreement will stay static throughout your child's life. Here are four things that might have a basis to change your child support agreement.

1. If You have Lost Your Job and are the Sole Custody Parent

If your financial situation has changed as the parent with sole custody, the non-custodial parent may have to provide more child support to augment your children's care. Talk with a family law attorney to find out what the next steps are. If you lost your job at no fault of your own, your children should not have to limit their needs because of this.

2. If Insurance has Changed

While insurance isn't necessarily considered a financial resource, it is something that can drastically change child support needs if insurance has been dropped or augmented. A modified child support agreement might have to be drawn up for the other parent to cover the children under their insurance, or work out how this can be balanced and covered together.

3. If Your Ex-Spouse has Received a Salary Increase, Inheritance or Bonus

If you find out that your ex-spouse's financial situation has increased, this might be a reason to modify child support. If you have sole custody, your children are still entitled to take part in the income of both parents. Work with your lawyer to review what changes may have occurred and can work with your ex-spouse to augment child support if need be.

4. If Your Ex-Spouse has Lost their Job

If your ex-spouse is paying child support and their income suddenly drops, they cannot just decide to stop child support payments. This must be legally augmented through the courts. If your ex-spouse comes to you requesting lower child support payments or stops paying, make sure to go to your lawyer immediately. You can work to bring your ex-spouse back to court to review child support through the proper channels.

If you have sole custody of children, child support from your ex-spouse can be a necessity to keep your family afloat and your kids taken care of. If a financial change has occurred for either parent, it is a good idea to run this by a family law attorney, such as Robert J. Schmit.