If you have received notice that your home is being condemned by your city or county government, then you might feel frustrated and unsure of what to do. The first thing that you might want to do after finding yourself in this situation is to call a real estate lawyer. It's often the best thing that a person can do when they are facing a home condemnation for these reasons and more.

You May Be Able to Fight the Condemnation

In some cases, you might be able to fight against the condemnation, if that is something that you want to do. If your home is being condemned because it is considered a safety concern because of its condition, for example, you might be able to fight for the ability to repair your home within a certain number of days, or you can provide evidence that the home is not in poor condition. If you want to keep your home, contact a real estate attorney to ask them about what your options might be.

You'll Want to Make Sure Your Rights Are Respected

Even if there isn't anything that you can do about the condemnation -- or even if you don't want to fight the condemnation -- you should know that you still have rights in this situation. If you are currently living in your home, for example, your state laws might require that your state or local government give you a certain amount of time to make arrangements to buy or rent another home and to move out. You might not know what your rights are in this situation, or you might feel as if your rights are being violated. An attorney can give you more information about your rights and can help you ensure that they are respected throughout this process.

You'll Want to Make Sure You Get Properly Compensated

Lastly, you should know that if your local government condemns your property, you are typically entitled to compensation based off of how much the property is worth. If you don't think that you are being offered a fair amount for your home, your real estate lawyer can help you fight for the compensation that you are supposed to receive. Then, you can make sure that you are paid a reasonable amount for the condemned property.

You probably don't want to have to go through a property condemnation on your own. Instead, hire a real estate law firm so they can help you.