You might have worked with an immigration lawyer in the past to secure a visa to allow you to live and work in the United States legally. These visas do have expiration dates, however, and yours might have already passed. If you have overstayed your visa, it's imperative for you to seek the help of a good immigration lawyer as soon as possible. If you're wondering whether or not it's actually worth it for you to reach out to an immigration lawyer about this issue, consider these reasons why you'll probably find this to be the case. 

You'll Want to Avoid Being Removed From the United States

In the time that you were legally living in the United States on a visa, you might have worked hard to build a nice life. You might have secured housing, and you could have either started a business or gotten a good job. You might even have family that is living in the United States. If so, then you could be worried about being removed from the United States by deportation or being restricted from reentering the United States for a certain period of time. Your best course of action for preventing these things from happening is to work with a good, reputable immigration lawyer who understands and knows the law and who will fight for you.

There Might Be Options for You

You might not have thought about seeing an immigration lawyer yet because you might not think that there is any way that they can help you with continuing to legally remain in the United States. You might be worried that you will not be able to get another visa, particularly if you have gotten in legal trouble in the United States or if you have overstayed your visa for a long time. Although it's true that handling your immigration issue before your visa is actually expired is helpful, this does not mean that there isn't anything that you can do. The same is true if you have been in legal trouble in the United States or elsewhere. A good immigration lawyer can assess your situation and talk to you about all of your options. Then, if possible, they can help you stay in the United States, or they can help you take steps so that you can legally return to the United States as soon as possible.

Contact a local immigration lawyer for more information.