Car accidents take lives every day. For the loved ones of the victim, the suffering is immense. They may wonder how they will cope with their loved one being taken so suddenly from them. A death can cause an accident case to be very different. Read on and find out more.
Who Caused the Accident?
If your loved one passed away because of another driver's actions, you may be able to gain compensation. Wrongful death cases won't ease your suffering. However, being paid some compensation could help make life easier for those left behind.
Was the Driver Negligent?
While all accidents are difficult to deal with, some accidents are not about carelessness or inattentiveness on the part of the other driver. For victims to take action against the other driver, the driver must demonstrate an egregious disregard for human life. This means it must be more than a simple accident. To help explain how this is different than an accident, take these examples:
- Drivers that cross the center line and cause a head-on collision may be careless. However, if the driver that did so was being pursued by law enforcement at the time, it could be negligence.
- Drivers who run a red light are careless but drivers who run a red light and cause an accident while impaired may be arrested.
As you can see, the driver's actions must be purposeful and negligent to constitute a wrongful death case.
What Else to Know About Wrongful Death Cases
Speak to an accident lawyer about your loved one's death at the hands of another driver. They will investigate the accident to determine if it comes under the rules of a wrongful death case. Even if your lawyer finds that the driver was more careless than negligent, you may be eligible for several forms of monetary compensation. No matter what, you should be paid for your loved one's medical bills, vehicle repairs, and more. Here is what else you need to know:
- Only those who are a blood relative or married to the victim can collect wrongful death benefits.
- In some cases, domestic partners may also be eligible for compensation.
- You only have a limited time to file a wrongful death case. Speak to a lawyer as soon as possible to avoid missing the deadline.
- For those who qualify, payments can include pain and suffering, loss of income, burial expenses, medical bills, and more.
To find out more about wrongful death situations, speak to a lawyer, like Todd East Attorney at Law.Share